Monday, November 24, 2008

Don't forget Make-Believe

The past 3 or 4 days I've been glued to Christmas shows. I'm really trying to swing this blah holiday feeling. I have grandkids now, I just gotta get that old holiday spirit. I want so much to enjoy Christmas again.

I probably believed in Santa for alot more years then most but you would of had to know my parents to understand that. I know that when I did find out it was all make believe, Christmas did change alittle bit for me but I still got into the spirit every year. I used to have so much fun when my kids were very small. But then things happened, no more Santa and well I really think that was the beginning of the end.

After that, my Mom and Dad had so much Christmas Spirit it just overflowed into me! That hung on for awhile until they passed away along with my brother and sister. After that and with the kids no longer believing in Santa. That was the end of me and the holidays. From Halloween, Thanksgiving to Christmas, I'd just rather disappear.

Now I have grandkids and I hope they all believe in Santa until they are the ripe old age of 100! Sure, Santa isn't really real but he is the root of the spirit to me. I didn't grow up in a church going house so to me, Santa means giving to others, being unselfish, making people happy. Now I am older and a Christian I know that Jesus is the reason for the season but in this crazy mixed up world, they don't understand that Jesus gave it all, totally unselfish and the gift of true happiness.

I guess I am like that good old saying, A child learns what they live. No matter what I know is real and true, Santa is the giving spirit. That is the one thing I haven't lost. I haven't lost the giving spirit, in fact that's ALL I want to do, year around! That's why I don't understand why it's so hard for me at Christmas. It's like I can't give enough. I feel I need to give more and more but I can't.

To me, Christmas means loneliness. Not having those you love around you. It means a day of unhappiness and missing those you love so much. It means moms not having their daughters, daughters not having their moms. Moms not having their sons and sons not having their moms. It means Dads not having their daughters and daughters not having their dads. I mean the list goes on and on. Sisters, brothers, grandmas and grandpas. It's just so sad. It's a reminder of what is lost forever, year after year after year.

There is so many parents out there that don't let their kids believe in Santa but I think they need Santa. I think they need to believe in something they can't see. That way when they get introduced to Christianity it won't be so hard for them to believe in God. Another whom cannot be seen. I think God created Santa just for that reason. You might say the same thing for the rest of them like the toothfairy, Easter Bunny, etc..... I wish I would of thought of this years ago because right now it all makes perfect sense to me. Of course I could be wrong but think about it, ok? Don't be so quick to stomp out Santa or stomp out their dreams of make believe.

No comments: